Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Down Turn At MTC (Week 3) (Aug 13, 2014)

Hi everyone!  Another week down here at the MTC! I've now past the half way mark and I leave here in less than three weeks! Whoo hoo!!!

The food here is so bad. At least I have food though! I never thought I would say this, but I am so sick of salads. I know that's a shock because most people know I eat "rabbit food" a lot. Haha. One thing that I have learned is that the only way to truly understand what a mission is like is by going on one! So me and an Elder in my district both play basketball, & word has been getting out that we play, so we had a group of Elders come up to us and challenge us to a game. Whoever looses the game, that team has to go clean the other teams apartment (6 guys to an apartment) for an entire week, and take care of their dishes every meal for a week. I basically told our team we are picking our prize =) We play this game tomorrow. Hopefully we win!

Every time we go to Main Campus or to the Temple, we ride on city buses so they are playing Top 40 songs. It's funny because every time the Elder's and Sisters ride on the buss, they all jam out to the music since we don't really get to hear any music other than hymns! But I love hymns, they are amazing! Haha today they were playing some Ed Sheeran and we all started singing.

Crazy story: So yesterday, me and my companion were both teaching our investigator named Alan. He is from Brooklyn NY and he is studying here at BYU but has no idea what The Gospel is. We were teaching him yesterday and we asked him how he was doing and he said he was doing horrible because Robin Williams died!!! What? Is that true? Everyone here has been down because of that! What a horrible way to start off a lesson! My district are all wearing black tomorrow because we all love him and want to pay our dues.

Companions can be very hard. Me and my companion get along pretty well, but sometimes not so much. We have the complete opposite type's of personalities. He's the type of guy who wants to sit inside all day, eat ice cream and watch cartoons and read all the star wars series. He doesn't like working when it comes to class or gym time. I'm the kind of person who has to be outside, have fun, and I tend to get pretty competitive at times. He really is a good kid, It's just been interesting figuring out how to make this work. I was telling him last night how I think it's interesting how God put us both with the opposite of who we are as people. He agreed. Haha. He's great though. He talks forever too. He talks me to sleep every night. One thing he doesn't know though is that every time I get in bed, I put earplugs in so I can't hear him so I can fall asleep. Haha. It's alright though. He like's to draw so I've found some things for him to draw to show people in the lessons. All is well. I just think it's quite interesting how God gives us things we need to work on so we can improve as people.

On Saturday I was studying next to a room that has a piano in it, and an Elder came up and said hello to me and asked me if I could play a piano song. I looked at it and it looked really hard so I told him I would need some time to learn it. About 5 minutes later, I heard a voice of an angel, and I looked up and realized it was the same guy. Turns out he is an opera singer (the best I've ever heard in my life), and he sang me the Lord's Prayer. It was UNREAL. Elder Pierce and I played our duets for him and he sang for us, and we are great friends now! We are defiantly going to work together on music when we get back. He has a whole list of scholarship offers for his voice. He's amazing. Such power music can bring. I LOVE music so much!

So this Hermana (sister in spanish) in my district, was able to trace her family history all the way back to Adam and Eve. I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it myself. Crazy! It took us a long time but we were able to do it! Whoever did her family history work is a genius! 

I was made district leader this week and it's pretty cool because two Elders in our district our now the Zone leaders and a sister in our district is in charge of the sisters here. It's nice because our district is in charge of a lot of people here so we all plan the days according to our liking! Haha.

I want to share with you a scripture of the day (Alma 37:36-37).  "Yea, and cry unto God for all they support; yea, let all they doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.  Counsel with the Lord in all they doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day." 

Being cut off from the world has truly made me realize what is important in life, and has made me more in tune with God. I can feel clearly, think clearly, and nothing is distracting me other than myself. That's one thing I love about the mission and it's something I will take with me forever. I've realized after I applied this scripture in my life, I started to see miracles happening every day! But It wasn't until I applied it and tried it out until I started to see those miracles - something to keep in mind when you read it. 

I watched these two video's this week and they truly inspired me. One is about a woman who lost her husband in Iraq, and the other is about an Olympic athlete who has less than 10% of his vision who has 4 gold metals. Truly after seeing these two people achieve such greatness, temporally, physically and spiritually, It's made me realize that we can truly do ANYTHING if we want it bad enough. What are we willing to give up to gain what it is we want? That's the question I have been asking myself this week. Ask yourself the same and ponder on it. Check them out.


I love you all. Have a fantastic WEEK!!! 

From heaven,

- Elder Celaya



No comments:

Post a Comment